Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Envy

    I have been thinking of jealousy and envy lately. Why do we envy? What causes it? Is it insecurity? Is it pride? Wherever it comes from, the Bible is pretty clear about it being evil. 
    Another question I have is how do you help someone who is struggling with it? I think there is fear in envy, at least sometimes. Fear is from the Devil. This is becoming more real to me all the time. Fear hamstrings you. It keeps you from doing what you ought to do. I think there is also pride in envy. A thinking that you deserve more or better than what the other person does. Maybe thinking more highly of yourself than you ought to.
     One thing James says is that if we have envy we are not to glory and we are not to lie against the truth. We are to be honest about it. He also says, "Where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work." So envy is an awful thing and causes confusion which makes me think of not being able to think clearly and just being confused. "Every evil work" makes me think what envy causes a person to do. It can cause you to be mean and cold instead of loving and warm. It can cause you to be spiteful and critical instead of encouraging and kind.
     Maybe if we can remember how we are loved by the Father, that He wants us and accepts us as we are with all our mess, maybe then knowing we are accepted and loved, we can let go of envy. At the same time submitting to Him and His will and allowing Him to burn up the dross. As always, I think being honest is key, not making excuses, but saying flat out, "Lord, I envy that person" then asking God's forgiveness.
     The beauty of love, is its willingness to forgive and its ability to make good things grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment